Devops Engineer Skills
Successful Devops Engineers must not only possess superb tech capabilities — they also have to have excellent strategizing techniques. They enjoy collaborating with others and have above-average communication skills. They also are curious, intelligent and motivated. In addition to these general skills and personality traits, employers are looking for Devops Engineer candidates who have the following skills:
- Learning about and gathering new technologies and related tools to introduce to the company in order to grow the agile development environment
- Providing direct server support during various operations such as deployment and general production
- Collaborating with developers to make sure new environments meet requirements and conform to best practices
- Designing, implementing and testing agreed-upon infrastructures
- Automating deployment of Linux applications, system configurations and security settings
- Prioritizing requests from operations, development and product teams fairly while demonstrating a sense of empathy
Tools of the trade: Devops Engineers must utilize a few vital tools each day. If your goal is to become a Devops Engineer, you should be skilled in using the following:
- Source Control Tools– Devops Engineers use source control tools to keep track of changes they make to their projects, so they can easily return to older versions of their code at any time. This is especially helpful when trying identify and fix bugs in code.
- Continuous Integration Tools– Devops Engineers require constant feedback on the status of software. Continuous integration tools help detect software deficiencies as they develop, which allows Devops Engineers to resolve them more quickly.
- Team Management Tools– To guide and track team movements, Devops Engineers need to use one or more team management tools such as Agile Manager or Agile Bench.